Most treatments for glaucoma are designed to lower pressure on the eye, which can damage the optic nerve that transmits visual information to the brain. Today we’re going to talk about the top 3 herbal products for glaucoma.
Herbal products for glaucoma are used to lower the pressure inside the eye. They work either by reducing the amount of fluid that is produced by the eye or by increasing the amount of fluid that drains out of the eye. These herbal products may be given as eye drops, pills, in liquid form by. In most cases, eye drops are the initial form of treatment.
Ginkgo has been found to support healthy circulation, help maintain the normal function and tone of blood vessels, support healthy oxygen and glucose metabolism in the brain, stabilize capillaries and make them less fragile, support normal coagulation of blood, and support healthy aging in the brain.
Coleus forskolii is a well known Ayurvedic herb that can help support overall vitality and well-being. There are numerous studies showing topical application lowers IOP. Forskolin increases cyclic AMP concentrations to enhance cardiac contractility and cause vascular dilation. Cyclic AMP is perhaps the most important cell-regulating compound.
According to Ayurveda, ashwagandha is famous as a rejuvenative tonic and adaptogen helping to calm the mind, ease stress/worry and support overall vitality & well-being. This adaptogen will heklp to counter the mitochondrial dysfunction known to underlie glaucoma.
About Your Herbal Products For Glaucoma
- Use your herbal products for glaucoma as prescribed by your doctor. If you need reminders for using your products, use alarm clocks or watches, notes on mirrors or tables and other cues.
- Learn how to use eye drops properly to reduce side effects. If you notice side effects from your herbal products for glaucoma, tell your doctor.
- If you have closed-angle glaucoma (or you are at risk for it), check with a doctor before taking any over-the-counter medicines. You’ll need to avoid medicines that dilate the pupil.
- Make sure all your doctors know that you have glaucoma. Tell your eye specialist what other prescription medicines you are taking.
- Learn cost-saving tips for glaucoma. For example, use a measured-dose dispenser.
- Carry a wallet card or other identification that states that you have glaucoma and lists all medicines or herbal products you are taking, including glaucoma medicines.
Glaucoma is a chronic condition that must be monitored for life and in most cases, herbal products for glaucoma must be continued daily. With proper monitoring and compliance with treatment, glaucoma can be managed to minimize any limitations to your vision or lifestyle.
You will need follow-up visits with your doctor to find out whether your herbal products are working as well as it should.
When glaucoma has already caused vision loss, further vision loss may occur even after the pressure in the eye is lowered to the normal range with herbal products. Talk to your doctor about the goals of treatment, how long the herbal products for glaucoma will be tried, and the possible side effects, as eye products can cause symptoms throughout the body.
Likewise, some types of eye drops may worsen certain existing medical conditions such as asthma. Some glaucoma drugs also can interact with other common medications such as digitalis, prescribed for heart conditions. So make sure you discuss these issues with both your family physician and your eye doctor.
If you would like for information regarding herbal products for glaucoma, call our office today to schedule a consultation and we’ll be happy to address your questions and concerns.